View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 PM

Default Coin Flips.....

***I think there will be alot of coin flip cases with this supreme court with that liar Anthony Kennedyn casting the deciding vote. I call him a liar because govt attorneys which brought Kennedy to Reagan's attention said he LIED pretending to be more conservative than he really was.... Reagan got fooled by Kennedy...

[ QUOTE ]
The most watched case is another Guantanamo detainee case. This time, its a challenge to a law Congress passed last year denying Guantanamo detainees Habeas Corpus protections and the right to challege their detention in federal court. I would prefer we handle the detainees as Geneva Convention POWs, but failing that, the only other option should be as criminal defendants.

[/ QUOTE ]
Captured soldiers have specific rights under the Geneva convention. Soldiers which fail to abide by the Geneva Convention (eg not wearing uniforms) are classified as unlawful enemy combatents. The latter have very few rights. BTW in WW2, captured Axis soldiers did not the right to challenge their detention in Federal court. In the battle for Tunesia 250,000 Axis soldiers were captured in that battle alone..... The OP would argue this one battle would result in 200,000 federal cases challenging the USA's right to keep them prisoner.

[ QUOTE ]
A drug related case involves whether federal judges can ignore statutory sentencing guidelines in drug cases. These laws are often criticized as draconian and I suspect many judges would like to hand out lighter sentences.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only constitutional angle is the statute barring cruel and unusual punishment. If the average murderer get 7 years and the avererage drug dealer gets 15 years.....then the system is out-of-whack.

[ QUOTE ]
The court will consider whether a person can be arrested and searched for an offence like speeding that normally resuts in a ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]
The right to be protected from searches has been used and abused. If you carry pot in your car, keep in your trunk. But if you refuse access to your car trunk, then you will be unlawfully detain while they bring a drug sniffing dog to violate your rights.

[ QUOTE ]
Whether the normal lethal injection method of execution constitutes an 8th Amendment violation. I'd like to put money on the Court rejecting this argument.

[/ QUOTE ]
Lethal injection was invented as a more humane way to kill people. We can go back to hanging if you like. It was constitutional in the times of George Washington so hanging should be good to go now. I think it is STUPID that this case got this far....

[ QUOTE ]
An Indiana law requiring voters to present a government ID at the polling place. I don't have a strong opinion on this one. On one hand, preventing voter fraud is important; on the other hand, I can definately see how this would disproportionally hurt the poor.

[/ QUOTE ]
Voter fraud is the democrat's secret weapon. This is how Kennedy beat Nixon thanks to LBJ's crookedness and Mayor Daly in Cook County. There is a reason why the Repubs support voter IDs and the Dems oppose this....even when the Repubs offer to use public money to pay for photo IDs. The Dems argue this is a type of poll tax. So you need an ID to get on a plane, cash a check, do bank transactions, etc.....but it is too much of a hardship to bring an ID to vote. The fact the Repubs offer to finance these IDs exposes the dishonest 'poll tax' argument the Dems try to bring up. Hell even 'poor' Mexico can afford top-of-the-line voter ID cards.....but the US is too poor. Yes?

[ QUOTE ]
A Louisiana man is on death row for raping a 12 year old. He is the only person in the country on death row for a crime not involving a murder. The Court will examine whether the death penalty for non-murder crimes is an 8th Amendment violation

[/ QUOTE ]
Kill the bastard.....