View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

These things will happen because our tacit approval shelters and emboldens the people who make them happen, and their supporters. If a thug or murderer is "on our side," the rules suddenly get changed. And then we pretend we play no part in things that happen largely because of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tacit approval? I'm pro-life and it's nonsense to accuse me of tacit approval. In fact I insist the government prosecute any murderer to the fullest extent of the law. How do abortion doctors come up twice for you in an animal rights thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

That was clearly explained already, as you well know.

As you also know, I didn't accuse you directly of anything. I did accuse society as a whole, and I think any group that doesn't explicitly condemn its excesses is doing something very wrong and creating a nurturing environment for them. This would apply to cops not coming down hard on police brutality, churches not coming down hard on child molestation by priests, PETA activists equating animal and human life, and by the same token the anti-abortion movement for with great frequency over a span of decades being a threatening, violent bunch of thugs and sometimes worse.

I don't believe that being in a society, group, or mob absolves one of responsibility for what it does. Though there are others, we still have the freedom to act, however uncomfortable the prospect. Not doing so is taking a moral stand just as much as doing so would be. Responsibility can't really be escaped.