View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Putting your foot in it

Just remembered another one for y'all, sorry if it kind of pales in comparison to the last one, but that's gonna be tough to beat.

A little background first, as a guy who works from home, I don't get to meet as many women as I'd like, and the ones I do meet are typically bar types, which isn't bad, but not what I look for in girlfriend material. So about every two years or so, I enroll in some college classes to go shopping, yeah, I know, I'm getting to old for this.

So anyway, a few years ago, I'm taking a class in sociology, and about two weeks into the course I realize that my teacher is one of my neighbors. I realize this when, on my way to class, I'm driving through my neighborhood and see her getting in her car. Cool, my teacher is my neighbor!

So I get to class, and ask her if she lives in my subdivision, she's a bit startled until I tell her that we're neighbors. I explain which house is mine, to which she replies "Oh, you're the ones with all the parties!" Yay me. She then asks me if I know her cat and she then describes said cat. Holy [censored], what a coincidence!

I then tell her the story from a few weeks before, where I awake to a huge crash in my pool area, and I rush outside to see her cat sitting on my pool deck. Problem being, I have a screened in porch and the little bastard fell right through the top. So I let him out and shell out a hundred or so for the screen repair. She laughs, thinks this is adorable, but doesn't break out a check book or anything to reimburse me, but no big deal.

So a few more weeks go by, and I arrive at class, where she's showing a movie. Cool, no work today, then I look over at her and notice she's crying. So I ask the girl in front of me, why she's crying. The girl responds in a whisper, "her Dad died." Wow, I was floored, that's dedication, who comes to teach on the day of their father's passing.

Being the nice and sensitive guy I am, for our next class, I stop at the grocery store and pick up some flowers and a sorry for your loss card. Before class, outside, I'm trying to get all the students to sign the card. One of the cuter students, says I'm adorable and sweet, and she can't believe I did all this just because her cat died. Excuse me? Her cat??? I thought her Dad died. Well [censored], the cats out of the proveriable bag now, too late to turn back, so I set the flowers and card on her desk and proceed to question said cute girl. She tells me that our teacher's cat was run over.

Ummmm [censored]. It occurs to me, I was in the location of the cats death, have motive, and am looking especially guilty. I quickly decide that the best course of action is to get rid of the flowers and card. As I'm rushing up to the desk to grab the evidence, our teacher walks in and sees the card and flowers. She asks who was so sweet as to do this for her. Well, might as well come out with it now. I explain to her that I thought her Dad died, and in no uncertain terms was this any part of a confession in the hit and run involving her feline. I still don't think she believes me.

Some days it pays to just stay home.