View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007, 06:29 AM

Default Terrible VO2Max, any suggestions?

I just got a fitness test done, with the following results. In square brackets is how they told me the figures compared to the averages, I don't know too much about the units or specific meanings:

Blood pressure: 125/74, resting pulse 66bpm. [Good.]
Lung function FEV 4.5 (capacity), FVC 5.0 – 90% (strength). [Good]
Fat % 11.03% - [Good / lean]

But then…
VO2 Max = 30. [Poor] Average 44-51.

It seems I have no aerobic capacity at all, according to the chart I would be below average for a 60 yr old man.

It looks like my heart and lungs are essentially OK, and anaerobic work is fine, but aerobic exercise doesn't happen. It matches how I feel when I run: within 2 minutes my legs get heavy and it becomes very uncomfortable (in a lactic acid way that feels more like high reps lifting) well before I get out of breath.

Anyone have any experience of similar, and a decent programme to get VO2 max back on track from a standing start?

Is there any possibility of anything chemically wrong? i.e. heart ok, lungs ok, muscles ok, but no 02 moving between them, any vitamins needed etc?

TY if anyone can help. I had been doing Starting strength, but plan to cancel it in favour of aerobic work given this looks like an emergency situation...