View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Californian city bans smoking in apartments and condos

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The right to vote isn't granted by the government or the Constitution, it is logically derived from other more basic rights, like the right of self-ownership, combined with the reality of democracy. The fact that certain people were not able to EXPRESS this right that they ALWAYS HAD is not evidence that the government gave them this right. The government just eventually put two and two together and realized they had to write it down so other people didn't forget.

[/ QUOTE ]

The book, “Lies my Teacher Told Me,” illustrated the partial myth of female suffrage. Prior to the constitutional amendment, States regulated who could and could not vote. Several states, such as (I believe) New Jersey always allowed women the right to vote. But even though other states didn’t give women the express right to vote, several recorded times in history, property owning women entered the voting booth, not once is there a record that such women were ever turned away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are there people who argued that NO women had the right to vote prior to the Constitutional Amendment? I haven't seen it.