Thread: "Lost" Albums
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 07:18 PM

Default \"Lost\" Albums

Inspired by Irieguy's post...Post a favorite album/CD you absolutely love but you don't think anyone else in The Lounge has even heard of before. And give us a description, not just a list! tell us WHY you love it and include links if possible.

Here's a couple of mine:

Sam Phillips - Cruel Inventions, 1991

Amazon link to Cruel Inventions

The female singer, NOT the founder of Sun Records! She's married to legendary producer T-Bone Burnett and has made a few really great albums, including The Indescribable Wow and Martinis and Bikinis. Cruel Inventions was sandwiched in between those two and for me, it's her best work. Before her popular work, she was actually a Christian artist under the name Leslie Phillips. You might also know her as the blond assassin girlfriend to Jeremy Irons in Die Hard 3.

She's a singer/songwriter with a dark edge; more rock than pop. Great songs that are arranged by Van Dyke Parks, icy vocals, fantastic production by Burnett, and one album I still play over and over.

I couldn't find any songs online from this album, so here's a music video off of Martinis and Bikinis:
I Need Love

Serena Maneesh - Serena Maneesh, 2005

This is a Norwegian band that plays a noisy, ethereal brand of rock, much in the vein of My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth. Noisy yet melodic, chaotic but controlled...it's probably my favorite "new music" cd of the last few years.

video for "Drain Cosmetics"

The above song is about as accessible as they get....the rest of the album isn't even broken up into "songs" per se, more like parts of a whole that include distortion and multiple part movements of the same piece.

Their music is so incredibly layered and loud and what some might mistake for just "noise," but underneath the chaos is incredible intricacy. Fantastic album in every way.