View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: One of my friends thinks Theo Epstein is an overated GM.

it is possible that theo is both overrated and a good GM. that is my opinion. most of the free agent signings are fine minus the stupid julio lugo signing, which is just dumb. the red sox have had a hard-on for him forever for no good reason.

jd drew, marte, crisp, dice-k, blah blah those are all average at worst deals, most are B+ or better. the only one who is a genius re: marte is schuerholz because he traded him at his apex for an undervalued shortstop + money. that doesn't make theo an idiot.

the lack of catching talent in the minor league system is a problem, however. kottaras is nothing special and trading away bard/meredith for mirabelli is the only F----------- would not do business with again trade. how the [censored] do you get ripped off by Kevin "matt bush rules" Towers?

as for the best GMs in the game, i look at the price paid per win, the ability not to overpay in the free agent market, and their ability to draft well. due to the red sox raping the CBA for free agent picks (later changed because of them and oakland screwing every team in the known universe - hi, kenny williams), they score well in addition to everything else they've done.

i think shapiro, theo, and beane are all very good GMs at the top of the game (as was depodesta). clearly the worst is either sabean or colletti, or both since they're basically the same person.