Thread: 6 numbers
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: 6 numbers

[ QUOTE ]
An article I was reading LINK talks about 6 numbers that decide exactly how the universe is. If any of these six numbers were slightly different we would not be here. From this I draw three possible conclusions.

#1 - The universe was designed.
#2 - A ton of other universes exist, or have existed at "one time" (clearly, not time in our sense of it).
#3 - We got crazy lucky. Like egg landing on the ground and reassembling itself lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like number 2, and I think the opinion among leading theorists have shifted towards that option more and more in recent years. Ten years ago, a lot of people were talking about the possibility that string theory would one day prove that the universe can't be slightly different. They were hoping to show that the only possible solution of the still unknown equations of string theory is a universe with exactly the the kinds of elementary particles and interactions that we have in ours. Now theorists are saying that the particles and their interactions depend on planck-scale geomentrical and topological properties of spacetime, and that they have good reasons to expect that those properties are not fixed by string theory.

I should add that the "other" universes could be just different regions of a larger universe, in which ours is just a tiny "bubble".