View Single Post
Old 06-23-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Brandi: Why does she bother?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FYI, this is how psychologists diagnose many of these "disorders." They get this pamphlet, ask you 10 questions, and you answer them. Then they go, you need to answer yes to 7 of these for a positive diagnosis. You answered yes on 8. You have disorder x.

My point being, one could very plausibly make a diagnosis without having met the person first hand. We're not offering court testimony, just gossip... geez.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I think many of these questionairres psychologists do are actually job applications -- for themselves. What do you know, at the end, it so often turns out that ... you should hire a psychologist! Wow, who knew??? What are the chances of that!

[/ QUOTE ]

Blarg, this is not all that surprising... most people who go to a psychologist/psychiatrist, already know there is a problem. They generally just need help figuring it out, or working thru it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but there are problems and then there are problems. If problems aren't escalated, no job for the psychologist. Coincidentally, every problem seems to get escalated. I just don't think that telling people with ordinary problems that they need prolonged expensive courses of "cure" because their problems are really so terrible is ethical.