View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Complaining to British regulators about Neteller

[ QUOTE ]
By leaving the US market, Neteller has created a "bank" run on their deposit accounts. It will take 2-4 months for the CD's and bonds to mature so that Neteller can refund their US accounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does look like a scene from Wonderful Life. Though Neteller is based in the Isle of Man it is Aim listed and FSA regulated so I would expect the normal arrangements for a bank run in the UK to kick in. The last one we had was a bit different in that Nick Leeson had genuinely bankrupted Barings (later sold for £1) but what normally would happen is that the Bank of England would act asa lender of last resort. In practice the Bank of England gets all the big banks (and these days probably a couple of big hedge funds) in and thrashes out a deal where a bank subject to a run is given access to enough cash (on credit) to pay out. The City of London and the other big banks have access to huge amounts of cash (liquidity) I would be surprised if over the weekend Neteller is not sorted out with the cash to payout. If it isn't then frankly the City of London are not doing their job.

I doubt I could pay out a prop bet to anyone in the US right now but the 20% of my roll on Neteller (the rest is spread between sites) will be staying there for now. If I don't get it back I will be complaining to the FSA and will be happy to champion US customers cause too (including with my sister in law who works for the FSA).