View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Kool-Aid didn’t kill those people.

[ QUOTE ]
Freud informs us the reason for this form of behavior is the tendency for humans to be suggestible and influenced by a psychic form of transference.

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds good and all, but not true. It's a learned behavior. Going against the crowd results most often in bad consequences for the defector. There are countless examples of this in action, and it's not often because of transference that people exhibit the group mind.

[ QUOTE ]
individuals sacrifice personal interest for the group interest.

[/ QUOTE ] It is for their own personal interest that they cater to the group. Sometimes it backfires and instead has bad consequences.

[ QUOTE ]
“Moreover, by the mere fact that he forms part of an organized group, a man descends several rungs in the ladder of civilization.” Isolated, he may be a cultivated individual; in a crowd, he is a barbarian—a creature acting by instinct. “He possesses the spontaneity, the violence, the ferocity, and also the enthusiasm and heroism of primitive beings.”

There is a lowering of intellectual ability “pointing to its similarity with the mental life of primitive people and of children…A group is credulous and easily influenced”—the improbable seldom exists—they think in images—feelings are very simple and exaggerated—the group knows neither doubt nor uncertainty—extremes are prevalent, antipathy becomes hate and suspicion becomes certainty.

Force is king—force is respected and obeyed without question—kindness is weakness—tradition is triumphant—words have a magical power—supernatural powers are easily accepted—groups never thirst for truth, they demand illusions—the unreal receives precedence over the real—the group is an obedient herd—prestige is a source for domination, however it “is also dependent upon success, and is lost in the event of failure”.

[/ QUOTE ] This just doesn't make any sense.

[ QUOTE ]

That which promotes life is good that which promotes death is evil.

[/ QUOTE ] I'm with you here.

[ QUOTE ]
we seek hypnotists as our chosen leaders.

[/ QUOTE ] All leaders are granted the status of knowing, we dare not disobey or fear the consequence. It's not a hypnotic power, just the nature of learning.

I'm still amazed at the detailed work and mainly coherent thought you can put into the works of Freud. It seems so obviously flawed to me, yet I'm amazed at how well you put together a working discussion with cogent points based off his work.