View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: The Well: Tom Bayes

[ QUOTE ]
Tom,

I have noticed you doing well in some of the triple draw MTTs on stars. (And its hard not to do well in those [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) But what strategy adjustments do you think are necessary for duece tournys? Also, what do you think Negreanu got wrong in SS2 (if anything), and what would you add if you were updating his chapter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most "adjustments" are geared towards how the typical 2-7 tourney player plays as opposed to the cash game regulars. My experience has shown me that most of the semi-decent tourney players (not the real donks) play very straight-forward and are always trying to make the nuts and miss lots of value bets and rarely snow and/or bluff. I have less success picking off rough value bets and bluffs in tourneys than cash games. If you pat with a rough 8 or a nine and someone bets into you, you are almost always beaten.

Some of the tourney players won't bluff even when it is their only hope. I saw a hand (I was not involved) where 2 players drew 1 on the final draw and checked it down. The OOP player showed down a six-high straight flush (!) and lost to the other guy who paired his seven. I think you really have to bet your straight flush to give yourself a hope to steal the pot. Along those lines, too many people draw 1 to straights and keep those sixes in their hand and kill themselves [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I haven't read Negreanu's chapter in several months. My primary source of 2-7 material is here. Mark Gritter knows more about the mathematics of triple draw lowball than probably anyone else on the planet. 2461Badugi has played a ton, against everyone from complete idiots who don't know the rules to experts HU, and has a wealth of experience to share. Posters like DeathDonkey and *TT* give us different perspectives on the LAG and TAG way to play. *TT* really hates sixes and I believe a TD tourney player should really hate them as well.

Oh, and finally, I have to admit that I believe 2-7 TDL is actually a variant of poker that is not terribly well suited to tourney play. Notice that the size of these tourneys has really fallen off. I think Stars would find a larger audience for NL Kansas City lowball. That's an awesome tourney game. I played a bit on GamesGrid but that site had no player base.