View Single Post
Old 03-15-2006, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Dipset? (for rap fans)

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that it's pretty easy for their stuff to descend into self-parody,

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!

I was kind of worried that I'd get flamed for my love for the dip set dip set dip set dip JUELZ!

However, I have a theory as to why The Diplomats are geniuses.

THEORY AS TO WHY DIPSET IS GENIUS

PierceandPierce is now going to tell you what's really good.

Let's compare The Diplomats to G-Unit. G-Unit, those honchos take themselves way too seriously. See, they're considered by some to be "studio gangsters," yet they take themselves extremely seriously (bulletproof vests, bodyguards, etc etc). BUT. DO YOU EVER SEE JUELZ IN THE HOOD WITH TEFLON? LAST WEEK I SAW JUELZ AT THE WAFFLE HOUSE, AND HE WASN'T WEARING NO TEFLON. NO [censored]!

Back to G-Unit versus Dipset. One has to give Dipset credit for how perceptive they are, as they seem to have come to terms with the fact that the state of hip-hop today, is pretty much about "That TRL Music" (reaching out to 13 year old white girls who have access to Daddie's money), and rich suburban White kids, who in order to escape their comfortable, yet bland and emo like existence as members of the middle and upper-middle class, live vicariously through the exploits and feats of ghetto heroes such as... JUELZ!! And of course the African-American youth are also in need of hero figures outside of Will Smith, Robery Horry - I mean, Will Smith, Nick Cannon, and Will Smith. Thus paving the arrival of DIP SET to save our nation's youth.

So, Dipset recognizes that fact. So they exploit that. How? By... DESCENDING INTO SELF-PARODY! They don't have to be gangsta. They are so gangsta that they can make fun of the whole concept of "gangsta;" while G-unit still strives to maintain a certain degree of authenticity, Dipset just lets it hang.

In reality, they are ignorant, but perceptive intellectuals. Their music is a satire of the first calibre of the capitalistic decadence created by post-modern consumerist culture. Except their vision is so avant-garde that very few members of society catch onto their scathing critique of capitalism and the state of the music industry today.

So when Cam'ron, who actually graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Kennedy School at Hahvahd (no [censored]!), tells people that Dipset "is the only movement moving" he's really refering to a movement aimed at creating a new paradigm through which one can view popular culture today from a more nuanced perspective.

So in the year 2008, when Cam'ron is elected President, Juelz is Vice President, Jim Jones is the Secretary of Defence, just remember that you read it here first.

No [censored].