View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:58 AM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

[ QUOTE ]
blarg,

Prayers at the beginning of public meetings go back 230 years or so. I have not heard anyone consider the Founding Fathers as the Fundamentalist Right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of terrible things go back forever. That might well be one of the best flags indicating terrible ideas. Human history is not a store of enlightenment, but of darkness. In America's early years, people were required to pay religious taxes whether they belonged to the community church or not, and not doing so would result in not only criminal prosecution but ostracization from the community, which was as good as death.

Thank goodness for those who held or still hold different and more humane ideas. It's precisely on their whipped, bloody, bowed and shunned backs that progress was possible.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, 'Under God' was put in the Pledge during the Eisenhower Administration as an affront to Communism. The founders acknowledged a Creator so I don't have a problem with God being mentioned as long as the government doesn't mandate church attendance or belief in said God.

[/ QUOTE ]

This strikes me as truly awful and artful reasoning devoid of human empathy. It must be nice not to be the outcast or care about those who might be shunned, even if children. I could never get my conscience in that place, and if there were a God, I would pray with all my might that I never would.