View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: The rise of the fundamentalist right in America

[ QUOTE ]

Do you Americans worry much about the fundamentalist right? It is something of a concern here in Europe - and we mostly attribute its continuing growth as we perceive it with G.W.Bush - but given the shocking state of newspapers these days, it's almost impossible to fathom what's a genuine piece of cultural news, and what's hyped up for our European tastes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open but I really wanted to participate in this thread.

Diebitter,

I agree with daveT when he says "I think that the Fundamentalists, in the view of most Americans, are not respected." I don't think Americans worry all that much about the fundamentalist right. We are worrying about too many other things, mainly heating bills and filling up our cars. Most of the people I know don't give the fundamentalists a second thought.

I'm not even sure I know what is meant by fundamentalist. Do you mean people who take the bible literally, like who don't believe in teaching their children about evolution? I think these people are a small minority.

I know several bible-studying Christians who are devout, thoughtful people. While others might make fun of them I actually like them a lot. I think they're interesting to talk to and extremely kind. They aren't anything like that horrible video you linked. That is really weird stuff in that video. I hope to god that the Brits and Europeans aren't imagining all of us Americans like that. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I've never seen anything like that video before and really don't think it is common at all. If that is what they are showing you folks in England and Europe then it's my belief you are being fed a lot of propaganda.

I believe our country is in a decline but I don't think it is the fault of any religious group. I think it's the fault of inept leadership, greed, short-sightedness on everyone's part, and yeah immorality. I suppose you could blame the fundamentalist right for helping to vote George Bush into office but really a lot of people voted him into office, not just fundamentalists.