View Single Post
Old 08-18-2007, 02:13 AM

Default poker lifestyle questions, managing your schedule

Just hoping to get some feedback on what all of you do to get a decent amount of hours in each month. When I talk about times in this post I'm talking about PST just so you know.

I do this for a living so I tend to try to have a schedule where I'm playing anywhere from 8 am - 5 PM depending on when I wake up. Usually I'll just try to get 5-6 hours in and then call it a day. I try to play every day but inevitably start taking days off. What sort of schedules do you guys try to keep if any?

Once I get up a certain amount for the month to where at least my bills are payed I tend to get a bit lax on the discipline though and start letting my schedule slip or taking days off and that type of thing. Any of you guys have that problem too?

What I really seem to have a problem with though is when I stay up late the night before or can't sleep and slowly start waking up later and later. Eventually I will start waking up at 3-4 pm at which point I will try and fix my schedule by staying up as long as possible. Then it can REALLY get screwed for at least a couple days (like waking up at 8 pm).

Problem I have with all this is I try not to play when I'm tired first off. Secondly when you wake up at 4 pm and want to do anything for the day you have to do it right away before stores close etc. So if I want to hang with friends/see a movie I have to do all that first. Then I get back and it's like 10 pm and if I want to play poker I have to play until 4-5am or something. Personally I've always hated "working" past midnight and I tend to think the games are worse as well so what usually happens is I just start slacking off until my schedule gets back to normal and I have this huge dead time of 12am-8am.

Right now there are two ways I see to fix it. Start using an alarm clock and really forcing myself to keep a decent schedule. Also possibly looking into sleep aids and that type of thing so I can get the rest I need. If I stay up late the night before wake up with the alarm clock and just take that day off instead of sleeping in so your schedule resets.

The other way is to just up my discipline and get my hours in regardless of what time it is.

What are your guys experience in all this stuff?