View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Roommate Troubles (very long, but in digestible pieces!)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have considered not returning his deposit for failure to giving me notice of his departure. The point of giving me notice is so I can have adquate time to find a tenant to rent the apartment. Locking the door prevents me from doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, WTF? There's your hammer. Just let him know if he doesn't comply with showing his room, you're going to prorate his March rent for every extra day it takes you to fill that room. INCLUDING any extra days he stays. Then when he does move out you can take your sweetass time finding the perfect roommate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this is really the key. If I go home today and say "Joe, I'll be keeping your deposit for every day it takes me to fill the room and any day you continue to stay" then he'll probably just say "FU. I'll just stay right here until I get my money or until the end of March, when you're just F'ed again."

Every scenario, unfortunately, boils down to the fact that I think he holds much of the power because he lives there now, all his stuff is there, and he can just stay.

I guess I'm brought back to changing the locks...