View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

T - great to see you back in OOT man.

This show is very well executed (caught up with Season 1 recently). I posted a couple things in OOT during the 2006/07 In Season offering reasons for its weak ratings:

I think it's basically a "non-focused demo" issue - the show is perhaps a bit too sophisticated / not light enough for the OC demo, and too many kids as principals for the older crowd. Hopefully the ratings pickup 2007/08. I'm not at NBC, but I imagine the show returned largely on the strength of how damn good it is. And a belief that viewers will flock to quality.

From Simmons' article:

[ QUOTE ]
On Aug. 28, NBC released the American DVDs with a "satisfaction guaranteed" gimmick. Now if you continue to ignore FNL, it's only because you're trying to hurt me. If you do give it a shot, let me recommend the impeccable acting, the lively football scenes (although they tend to go overboard on exciting finishes), the risky story lines and especially Coach Taylor's family, the most authentic household in recent TV history. Every nuance is nailed, every hug seems genuine, every fight makes sense, every sarcastic barb and flustered reaction ring true.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really resonated with me, 100% agree. It does small, quiet moments really well - basically it feels real, no small achievement for a network TV show.

-Al