View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Default Re: ***Official USF vs. Rutgers Thread ***

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, the Big East may want to reconsider being on TV all the time for "exposure." Every week I am astounded at how bad the defense is in this conference.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not have watched the USF Defense this year then. They shut down WVU and Auburn. They lead the nation in tackles for a loss, have the nation's leader in sacks and two of the best corners in the country.

Oh yeah, the Big East has 5 of the top 28 defenses right now. You must be horrified by the Big Ten and Pac Ten (2 teams each in the Top 30)LINKY

USF is 18th in Total D and 8th in Rushing D. They are 61st in passing D allowing 221 yards a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on, college team defense statistics are barely worth the paper they are printed on and you know it. There are way too many variables/hidden factors. Generally speaking, the Big East plays much softer non-conference competition than the conferences you mentioned. And blowout yardage/points that aren't really relevant to how good a defense is can skew things.

Are there some decent defenses in the Big East? Yes. Is USF's defense legit? Probably- they shut down an admittedly excellent WVU offense. But it is my personal belief that most teams in the conference have bad defenses.

I think USF is good, but has been running above expectation. Maybe they will prove me wrong.