View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Pot odds and tournament theory

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is pretty much an ICM problem where we may regard each of the players as equally skilled , all things being equal . So a player with twice as many chips as his equal counterpart , should have a stack that is "almost" twice as valuable .

Are you familiar with ICM ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Integrated Chip Model I think? I have seen the term in the STT forum but I never bothered to study it and I really do not know anything about it, even how it would apply to the question I posed.

[/ QUOTE ]

He means independent chip model. Towards the end of a tournament, as you get close to the money, your position starts to have a relationship to how much money you can expect to make. So, your decisions start to be affected by actual $ outcomes, not just chip outcomes. For example, if 3 players enter a hand, and 2 of them will be all in, and you are very near making the money, or near a big movement upwards in the money, you'd rather fold and let the two of them get knocked out, even if you have a great hand. This is assuming your chip stack is very low, and you don't feel you have a good chance of winning the tournament if you double or triple up here, and you'd rather make the money than take the risk for a small chance at victory.