View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: please critique these travel plans

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have known literally hundreds of ESL teachers in my time in Asia, and while i haven't done it myself, i feel confident in warning you --based on their stories-- that you often don't get what you think you're getting. Make sure ALL their promises are in writing, and even if they are, you'll probably have to fight for your "rights" on more than one occasion.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can you give some examples of how people got screwed over?

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, let me list the ways:

1) Housing is not what they promised. You could wind up living in a dive with a bunch of degenerates. If you want to move out, you have to pay your own rent.

2) Car not what they promised. You might be sharing a car with 10 people instead of having your own car and driver.

3) Facilities could be total [censored] and you'd never know until you got there. I've heard stories of rats sitting in the corner watching as you teach.

4) The plane ticket home may not come. Once you've done your tour of duty, they have no incentive to keep their end of the agreement.

5) Students could be total asswipes. You have no say over who you teach.

6) You could be forced to drive 2-3 hours through traffic each day to teach people at their businesses.

7) You might suddenly stop getting paid with no legal recourse since you're not Korean. If you threaten to leave, they laugh and ask how you expect to pay for your ticket home.

There are a lot more problems. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. It may be all pink and rosy, but you should go in with your eyes open and get it all in writing at the bare minimum.