View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 12:26 PM

Default Brian Townsends Equity/Hand range article in Cardplayer.

SBRUGBY ARTICLE
This article is worth a read, you have to scroll down about 3/4 the way down the page to see it.

My first question for the likes of Aba, as well as others is: At what point in your career(s) did you start to apply the equation that is described in this article directly to your game?

My second question is: how reasonable is it to assume that these sort of calculations can be done in the time allowed at the table? It seems as though there are two well explained but reasonably difficult parts of the equation to calculate at table speed. The first of which i find the most difficult, calculating your equity vs an opponents range. I understand fully how to look in pokerstove and find out what my equity vs a certain range is, and i feel i can do a good job estimating a range, but how can one determine what their equity is vs a range in real time? I could easily tell you what my equity is vs one hand, but how do you determine it on the spot vs a range? Is this something that you committ to memory? If so i would be forever in your services if you were to share with me just what you have comitted to memory.

thanks all........

question i just thought of....does our equity in a hand generally fall within certain ranges?? For example would we find that most of our hands would either have say:95%, 80%, 66%, 60% 55% (on and on) or are they just as likely to be 1% through 100% equity? This might make it easier to comit some of the math to memory, at least for me......