View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Odd Question About Alcohol

[ QUOTE ]
Here is an interesting tidbit: Most people have heard that placebo/fake alcohol can give intoxication on the same line as alcohol.

Less known studies have shown something else though:

Placebo alchohol will not affect certain inhibitors in the brain like alcohol does, which affect your ability to 'say no'. Researches tested this by comparing people intoxicated on placebo alchohol vs alcohol vs control group on willingness to drive while drunk.

The intoxicated placebo group scored about the same as the control groups on willingness to drive, whereas the alchohol group showed far greater willingness to drive.

What this gives is that alchohol indeed DOES affect decision making greatly compared to a placebo, making your posed question more than legitimate.

[/ QUOTE ]
No. What does show is that alcohol indeed does affect someone's ability to decide whether or not to drive.

Edited to say that while I have not read the study, I have some questions about the legitimacy of "placebo alcohol." I mean alcohol is not like pain reliever or something, in that there are noticeable physical feelings, not to mention a noticeable taste, that come with drinking alcohol.