View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You just started a sentence with the phrase "the closest thing to a non-loser" and somehow didnt end it
with "is the guy who just signed a 10 year, 275 million dollar deal."

[/ QUOTE ]

He left at least $10MM on the table plus took a hit to his image, whatever that is worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

But again you are assuming that the Yankees were willing to give A-Rod the entirety of the Rangers money before he opted out. Why would they at that point? Remember that their starting point was 8/231 and I just don't see them going above the 10/275 even with the Rangers money. They are the richest team in baseball but they don't have unlimited monies. Even if Boras/A-Rod hadn't opted out, I believe that the Yankees would have offered the same deal. It would have better from the Yankee perspective, but that isn't Boras' concern. I feel like you are failing to grasp how insane a 10/275 contract is in the first place and I don't think anything above that would have happened under basically any set of circumstances. A-Rod is 32 and is likely limited to a corner infield position. Also, let's not forget the incentives that could make the deal worth 300mill anyway (were they a part of the original offer?)

Also, about the imagine thing. It really doesn't matter if you are just about to sign a deal that will last a decade. In ten years, if A-Rod hasn't retired and is looking for a deal, I doubt anyone will remember/care about this.