View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
By the same logic you could say that because at the start of the Arod free agency discussion Boras made comments about Arod being worth 350/10, he got owned.

The Yankees made a lowball extension offer trying to prevent Arod from hitting the open market which would have the added benefit of getting the 21m of Texas money. Just because the FO "said" they weren't going to negotiate if he opted out doesn't mean they 100% meant it or it wouldn't still be a beneficial signing at a higher price. They wouldn't have a very big chance of getting Arod to sign the lowball extension if they came out and said they would still negotiate after, would they? Even if there is a very low chance of it working (Boras is too good an agent to leave that much money on the table) it is in many ways a freeroll. So saying the Yankees just got totally owned is ridiculous.

Now considering how little success Arod had when he opted out and hit the open market, did the Yankees make a mistake by not sticking to their guns and seeing if they could have brought him down from 275/10? Possibly, I don't know.

Everyone trying to judge who won or lost is going to come up short of being accurate, and probably will just base their answer on whether they like or dislike the Yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm missing something but has free agency even started yet? How can you say he had so little success on the market after the first serious bid, a 8yr/225 offer, was promptly topped by the Yankees with their 10/275 + possibly another 25million? This is a pretty ridiculous contract and I don't see why people aren't seeing that.

Also, just for the sake of argument, Boras "owned" the Yankees because he forced them to forfeit the Rangers' money and pay the full amount out of their pockets.

Every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in...