View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Ask Cancuk about backpacking/independant travel.

I have a pretty big and expensive backpack. It came to about 150 euros - luckily it was a gift, ha. The weight is well distributed onto my hips instead of my shoulders and it leaves quite a bit of space between the pack and most of my back, which means I don't get all hot and sweaty when I'm lugging it around while hitchhiking. I don't think all this is really necessary unless you're going trekking, though.

As for pants, I have just two: one pair of jeans and one pair of khakis. I don't wear shorts unless I go to the beach, but that's my thing. On hikes I either want to be protecting my legs from insects and the vegetation or from the sun, so I prefer light khakis to shorts. In cities I place more value on looking good and being presentable than comfort.

I shave like every two or three days or so, just before that point where it becomes obvious I'm just a terrible bum. I use a standard Gillette razor, it's not hard to find cartridges for them. I'd recommend Somersets shaving oil - it's a tiny little bottle and I find it irritates my skin less than most shaving creams.