View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Re: David Wright got screwed

[ QUOTE ]
I know you dont think either of those is fair. What I'm trying to demonstrate is that there isn't really any fair way to come up with a MVP in any team sport. We are currently incapable of 100% isolating one players contribution to ANYTHING, much less to winning. Every performance is subject to influences that are entirely out of any given players control. I agree that there are some aspects of the "financial value approach" that would unfairly punish certain players. I'm just trying to show that there is unfairness in EVERY possible system. And that the unfairness inherent in THIS system is unfairness that is actually fairly relevant. It is unfair to penalize a guy for his team not getting to the playoffs because not only can he not control that, but he is actively working against that and it occurs in spite of him. Being punished for tenacious negotiating is also unfair since these guys should have the right to get every penny, but at the very least, they are being punished (unfairly) for something that DIRECTLY negatively impacts their team.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all players entered the league as free agents, I might have more interest in this kind of approach. I just think this idea would shift the arguments about voters from being too team-results-oriented to the award just being a "who has the most under-market contract" which doesn't really mean anything.

The current system is fine, if the writers would stick to the criteria. I don't even mind a player winning the MVP award if the stats are close. For instance

Player X .275/.380/.530, 20 SB/20 ATT, 30 HR, team didn't make playoffs

Player Y .285/.370/.515, 32 SB/32 ATT, 28 HR, team made playoffs.

I really wouldn't mind either player winning the award.