View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

I just finished reading the book. I think this book gives a pretty decent recipe for playing soft live games (e.g. bet an amount preflop so that the flop is easier to play,etc). The book's advice imho is terrible for the tough online games. I already read through this and have thought of at least 3 ways you can find out within a couple thousand hands who is trying to implement this and what to do to exploit it (no i won't say how because it is very easy to do if you read the book.)

The book complete ignores the fact that in the tough online games and I am not talking 1/2 or 2/4, the games are so aggro and the players are such good hand readers that people just won't put their stack in against a player who all he does is smash the pot bottom because his SPR told him to commit to his to pair or overpair hand.

I think the author assumes you are playing against a bunch of donkeys. Because a good player will adjust quickly agains this strategy and just not pay you off enough. No matter what SPR you achieve.

I don't find the book horrible but I think it gives a fake sense of security to those who want a quick cookbook recipe to beat poker.