Thread: preflop raise?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: preflop raise?

[ QUOTE ]
Some people believe that's all there is to it.

Rightly or wrongly, at least in a fixed-limit Omaha-8 game against intelligent opponents who are trying to put you on cards in order to out-play you, whatever the stakes, I think there's more.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

In a live limit game, unless you're playing idiots, you don't lose that much on the first round, and you easily gain it back on subsequent rounds when you actually do have an edge. (And when you don't, you lose less and can get out more easily). And that works better for me than raising on the first betting round whenever I have an edge. I think it depends a lot on your opponents.

There's more to it than just that.

There's also the deception factor in live games of seeming to be passive, because of play on the first betting round.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I was not so eloquently trying to make was your raises should not define your hand. And there is room to value bet your hand pre-flop.

[ QUOTE ]

Dismas - Rightly or wrongly, on the first betting round, I raise or don't raise more because of the effect I think it will have on my opponents than because of whether I have a premium hand or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you should always consider more then just your hand strength in deciding how to play your hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Playing in that fashion works for me and is a satisfying, interesting way for me to play. However, admittedly that style of play is more complex and more advanced than rote memorization of the premium hands and raising whenever you are dealt one, plus "adding a small percentage of hands you would not normally raise."

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m not smart enough to remember all the different premium hands by rote nor do I believe that is an optimum way to play O8…