Thread: preflop raise?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Re: preflop raise?

[ QUOTE ]
so basicly you do advocate sacrifying a (significant?) preflop equity edge in order to maximize your postflop edge?

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Olrik - Exactly.

In a live limit game, unless you're playing idiots, you don't lose that much on the first round, and you easily gain it back on subsequent rounds when you actually do have an edge. (And when you don't, you lose less and can get out more easily). And that works better for me than raising on the first betting round whenever I have an edge. I think it depends a lot on your opponents.

There's more to it than just that.

There's also the deception factor in live games of seeming to be passive, because of play on the first betting round.

But if you follow my posts here, you'll see that I'm actually not passive at all - however it might seem that way to those who hastily jump to conclusions because of my generally rather passive play on that first betting round.

As an aside, I don't play Texas hold 'em that same way. However, I don't play Texas hold 'em much because Omaha-8 is simply a lot more interesting to me. When I do play Texas hold 'em or anything pot-limit, it's with a different emphasis on various poker principles.

But different strokes for different folks. Do whatever works for you and provides self satisfaction in your games.

Buzz