View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 04:12 AM

Default Re: **Atlanta Braves offseason thread

If you actually want to get serious, this should be easy.

[ QUOTE ]

OK, let's try other words you might not have a problem with: smug, arrogant, elitist, bitchy....

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, saying something without explaining why isn't a great reason to accomplish anything. Unless, well, you're just trolling and flaming for no reason. If so, enjoy.

[ QUOTE ]
First, it is indeed a possibility

[/ QUOTE ]

Is anything not a "possibility"?

[ QUOTE ]
that Anderson is the short term replacement for Andruw at CF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anderson had a 666 OPS at age 24 in Triple-A -- in the PACIFIC COAST LEAGUE, a substantial hitter's league.

[ QUOTE ]
Just something to bridge the gap until Schafer or Lillibridge is ready. That was partly the motivation for completing the deal. Frank Wren himself stated that if there were no other options for a one year replacement, and if you have looked at the market for CF'ers there may not be, Anderson may very well slide into the slot on opening day. He will certainly compete for it.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...116.html?imw=Y

[/ QUOTE ]

You can believe all you want over what comes out of executives' mouth in what amounts to PR spin. No MLB team is going to start a 25-year-old who cannot hit in the minor leagues at center field, and even if they did, you get no credit for even remotely assuming / guessing / predicting that would happen because it's a stupid prediction. No MLB team does something that stupid, not even the Royals.

I'd be willing to give you 5:1 odds for whatever dollar amount you want that it doesn't happen.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, people are saying Chipper is selfish. You disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. I'm not disagreeing that people are saying Chipper is selfish. That's not something you can really disagree with. I'm disagreeing that it matters in even the slightest of slightests.

[ QUOTE ]
I am guessing that Smoltz knows Chipper better than you do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing Chipper and the training staff know Chipper's injuries better than Smoltz.

[ QUOTE ]
I recall that the time when that happened last summer was right before Chipper was about to take himself out of the lineup again, while the team was reeling, and go back on the DL for some other "Chipper" injury. I also recall that the very next day of the confrontation Chipper decided that he may not have needed to go on the DL, and promptly hit a home run that game and proceeded to go on one of the biggest second half tears of his career. Again, all with an injury that may have forced him to go on the DL had Smoltz not called him out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Human memories are notoriously faulty. I don't recall any such thing about Chipper going on the DL and then suddenly stopping and playing through an injury just because Smoltz told him to. But links would be appreciative, and I have no doubt that even if that were true that it wouldn't be remotely close to the whole story.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, get your facts straight before you start making "douchey" comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, you didn't really have any facts. You had your memory...