View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Boris Becker joins PokerStars team

[ QUOTE ]
Well he is still huge in germany. Except for Michael Schumacher, probably still the biggest name.
When he turned 40 a few days ago it seemed to be a big deal and he was certainly on all the german tv channels that I*m unfortunate to have on my tv.

I'm sure if anyone can bring even more germans to pokerstars, it's Boris.
Even in other european countries, the Uk too where he has been Wimbledon commentator, he is still a bigger name than I think 99 percent of active tennis players and certainly bigger than any poker player.

So like someone said, a huge signing that can't have been cheap, unless Boris really loves poker I guess.
I know he has had huge deals in the past with big sponsors like Mercedes.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure as to which effects this will have on the german poker market, but this is HUGE when it comes to getting tons of press. after all, he still is one of very few true german sports legends - he basically CREATED tennis in germany and has been in a love/hate relationship with just about every german ever since. i mean, he dropped tennis like 10 years ago and still has cover stories about once a week or so (alas re: his murky private life [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] pokerstars for making this deal. becker is known for making good choices concering his testemonials - he helped aol take off in germany some years ago. letīs hope thereīs more to come. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]