Thread: Tells
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Tells

I have only been playing live for a laughably short time. I have considered whether tells are costing me but decided the games I play in are mostly populated by unaware players. Here I some things I do do to try and minimize the problem.

Handle the cards and chips exactly the same way whether I am calling, folding, raising, I have a routine kind of like a golfer setting up for a shot, I don't start my routine until it is my turn, and I use the routine no matter what the situation is. Actually I have two routines and use them sporadically. I am pretty deadpan during all hands but try to be conversational between hands.

Also this guy is more of a chatterbox than you are a tell box for sure. He is clearly thinking and wants everyone to know how smart he is. You can use that effectively in the future I am sure.

In the final analysis though I can't justify playing with really strong players in a raked game. I avoid him unless it's the only choice and the other players are soft (looks like some of them may be) Then I avoid HU situations. I wouldn't have avoided this one though.

Overall nice hand and worth a shot in that pot. I hope you will keep posting live play situations. The B&M forum usually offers little in the way of strategy, mostly rules and such but I want to learn to play better live and I think I can learn from your experiences.