View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Re: My Dad\'s [censored] Union

[ QUOTE ]
Having been a member of a union, it seems to me the union mentality is counterproductive. There is little incentive to excel - everyone gets paid the same regardless of how good they are at their job. I've personally seen people who do next to nothing while I was busting my ass, and yet I knew we both made the same and always would (at least until I got a promotion, where I'd find new slackers making the same money as me). It's very bad for employee morale and discourages initiative IMO. Personally I never saw what I was getting for my quite hefty union dues.

I actually ended up quitting when the union voted down a 15% pay raise in exchange for an additional 2.5 hours of work per week. They ended up accepting a 5% raise with no additional hours.

But on the plus side, they did give out turkeys to all members every Thanksgiving.

[/ QUOTE ]

In every job i worked (none of which have been union) there have been people making the same as me being lazy as crap while i worked til i dropped. Maybe its more excessive in Unions, i dont know but it certainly happens in all jobs not just Unions.