View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: My Dad\'s [censored] Union

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I support a "Give them an hour to pout and get their asses back on the job, or you're fired and I'll hire some drivers who will work for $40k a yr instead of $80k" strategy.

Sorry to hear about your dad though. Situations like his are why I don't like unions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes no sense. You realize that his situation, while not ideal, is a a hell of a lot better than it would have been if there was never any union at all, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said Unions didn't have their place in history, but in modern times, they are putting American companies out of business because the American companies are so worried about public image that they're willing to pay these union workers 2, sometimes 3x what the fair market value of the service they perform, which is driving costs up, and wrecking the economy.

Take UAW, for example. Several years ago, I toured one of the auto manufacturing plants outside Atlanta with my high school. While there, I met two women who made $22/hr+, just for holding a lug gun and putting lug nuts on wheels.

The wheels were already on the car, someone else had done that.

The point of that story? I can go on the street and find someone willing to do the same job for $8/hr, and could probably fire the guy who puts the tires on the cars and make the two jobs into one job as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

For $8 I'd much rather work at a convenience store than do something that hard. Go up to like $14 and we'll talk.

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell do you do for a living that putting a few nuts on a tire and pulling the trigger on the lug gun is considered hard? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was referring to the job after I'd fired the man who puts the tire on, forcing him to lift the tire, mount it, then put the lugnuts on.

At least I hope so, otherwise, your question is QFT.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]