View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: How to counter the idiot at the table?

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't expect the maniac to blow up the river like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I somewhat disagree, although raising bottom pair would be a surprise coming from anyone. Given your read on this player there's a better-than-usual chance that it will cost you more than two bets for a showdown. But you're correct that you're getting great odds, and the turn call is hard to find fault with.

My transition to NL has greatly colored my thinking, which is why I went back and edited this response. You probably played it fine, but at least 80% of the time you should expect to lose. The times you win, you'll be compensated well.

[ QUOTE ]
That's exactly the problem I got with that type of player. Usually I keep pots small with just one pair and I can even make a laydown, but NOT when I get that sort of odds to continue.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I don't think trying to extrapolate a "theory of playing against the idiot at the table" from this one hand is a very good idea. You had a good hand that got outdrawn by a five-outer, that's all.

[ QUOTE ]
Looking at the final pot, I even had the implied odds to spike a third ten in which case I would have re-raised of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Then you could say, "Look, this is how you play against an idiot." The big pots you win will more than compensate you, especially if he's not smarter than he looks (i.e. smart enough to get out when you represent something huge).

I usually AM the idiot at the table.