View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Question for ACists about charity/welfare

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is the key point. Actions speak louder than words and resources are scarce. If people's wishes, intentions and rhetoric made things happen in the world then it wouldn't matter what system we had in fact I'd go for one of those benevolent dictatorships they seem like a lot less work.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's absolutely none of their business and I have massive suspicion of anyone who says that they believe that X is worthy of support but won't support it unless Y and Z criteria are met. If you think everyone should have a free pony lead by example and start breeding ponies otherwise you're just spouting pleasantries. In fact you're making things much much worse because you are convincing people that if we all just wish and hope that little bit more that all their problems will magically be solved, instead of getting down to it and working hard to solve problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's completely indefensible to simply leave off 2) and respond like this. The participation of others as a necessary and sufficient condition for my participation in no way makes that participation similiar to your lame pony example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. Instead of breeding ponies you should be out there convincing people.