View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

Jay,

1) I'm currently being coached, and that's helped me a ton since I started. When I started being coached I was breakeven at .5/1 (and had never touched HU), so I'd say I've been successful at applying the lessons I've learned through coaching thus far. I read MSNL/SSNL/HU regularly, although I don't post as much as I should. I tend to not post in threads where 5 people have already stated the obvious answer, and I'm generally not confident enough in my thought processes to make the first post in an interesting thread. For some reason I think a smaller (though not necessarily weaker or less interested in a strict pursuit of good analysis) community would suit me far better.

2) I plan to use poker winnings to pay off my undergrad loans before I finish grad school (2-3 yrs from now). I have about 80k in loans, so I have a pretty long way to go before I get there. I'd imagine this goal requires me to move up to somewhere from 3/6 and 10/20 for it to be readily attainable.

3) I play 1/2 6max and HU right now, and I plan on taking shots at 2/4 very soon. I've made about 25k lifetime play poker - about 20k of that is this year.

4) Meh I just looked through my past 200 posts or so and didn't find anything groundbreaking. I really gotta post more.

5) Like many others I took up poker first as a hobby, then as a competitive outlet to replace the sports I played when I was in HS. I'm a grad student (biomed engineering), so clearly I'm a sucker for theoretical and intellectual exercises (and punishment lol). When I get my phd I probably won't know what to do with myself for a while, but once I come around I'll either run a lab somewhere or get into consulting.

Bonus - I've played about 220 hours since July (quals in June so I didn't play) and I've made about 15k. I can definitely make videos, and while I've set up a website before I'd be willing to give it a shot.

Thanks for doing this!