View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: First time dealing for a casual tournament

[ QUOTE ]
... I think I'm just nervous about accidentally screwing up and having a player berate me for it. If anyone has any advice for dealing in your first semi-serious setting, I would really appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]
It is natural to be nervous but I would suggest not getting obsessed about it. As psandman said, you will eventually make a mistake. Everybody does. And yes, there are some players who will get very upset and blame you personally for depriving them of money. These people are not worth losing sleep over.

The key thing, in any setting, when you make a mistake is how you handle it. Prior to dealing in this setting I would ask if they have written rules or guidelines. If they do, familiarize yourself with them.

Once a mistake is made, if you know what the proper procedure is to rectify the situation, then state it so everybody at the table knows what is going to happen, and then proceed from there. It gives the players a chance to object and call for a "Floor" decision if they believe you are wrong. Normally, the players will accept what you say (assuming it is right).

If you don't know what to do (even after the players have chimed in - which they will do), ask for help from your Floor supervisor (or Tournament Director). The alternative of trying to make up a solution could make the situation alot worse.

In either case, if a "Floor" decision is necessary make sure to preserve the situation, as best you can.

I always appreciate it when a dealer apologizes when he/she makes a mistake. It makes the situation more human and less adversarial, IMO.

Good luck. I hope you can enjoy the experience.