View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Does Bald Discrimination Exist (and if so, to what extent)?

Inspired by the obvious on Sunday night.

My personal story:
Im 26. I started losing my hair around 20. It hurt to see small clumps come out in the shower, while washing my hair. I remember a girl telling me NEVER to shave my head in college. More or less saying that bald men were completely unattractive.

I've been shaving my head regularly for the past 2 years. In the beginning, I was using an electric razor once every two weeks or so. Now, I'm using a straight razor once/week. My hair is normal on the sides, but thin in the front and the top/part (typical male pattern baldness areas). It isn't all that noticeable until around 7-10 days, in which case I feel it becomes a must to shave it again.

I think I'm still a fairly attractive guy in terms of physical appearance. I do however get FAR less women now than I did with a full head of hair. Truth-be-told, I never had a problem with women in high school. Some reasons for this could include (beyond the hair):
-in high school/college, you still had the world ahead of you: so money wasn't as big of an issue.
-grinding out micro stakes in one's apartment isn't the most social environment
-I'm in good shape (far, far above the average male), but nowhere near the amazing shape I was in HS/college
-My game never really improved. In HS, just flat-out asking a girl for a date would fly. As you get older? Not so much.

I'm curious to what people think regarding baldness in the outside world. Personally, I do think most bald men look a-like. So in terms of unique appearance, that is a clear disadvantage. Also, I should regretfully admit that I'm referring to "non-black bald men" here, as I think in the African community, it is somewhat of a fashion statement to have shaved/short hair.

Does bald discrimination exist far beyond a sexual attraction scope? Most of our Presidents were/are proud owners of a nice, full head of hair. Could baldness have any effect on potential employment?

Thoughts?