View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: AC and anthropocentrism

[ QUOTE ]
The only non-anthropocentric civilization I know of are (some) of the Native Americans. It seems only fair that if you want to ask the question, you should answer it for your own views first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say rather that nearly all pre-civilized societies were not anthropocentric (and include native american societies in this). I think anthropocentrism is a pretty universal feature of civilization. but this depends on your definition of "civilization" I suppose.

I'm not sure why I am required to both prove that anthropocentrism is immoral and sketch out what a SES that is not antrhopocentric might look like before I can pose a question about the moral basis of anthropocentrism to a group of people that ascribe to it, but If I'm still feeling articulate after I get back from having a few beers I'll write something out.

IRT the joke, I thought the original question, seeing as it touched on a number of important topics in various academic fields would be interpreted as quite serious, whereas obv talking rabbits at meetings was a lame attempt at humor.

so again, the original question is not flippant, but rather an attempt to have a discussion abround what I see as a serious ethical/philosophical issue.