View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Balancing Flop Caps

Here's my range in regards to a situation when the action primarily involves a raise pf. Also, assume we have position. I'll discuss my adjustments for the other factors later(being OOP, an unraised pot, etc.)

BB bets, I raise, SB folds and BB 3bets. Here’s my range in that situation(on this board):

33(2)
99(2)
TT(2)
9T(9)
AA(3 combos b/c1/2 the time I wait for the turn)
KK(3 combos b/c 1/2 the time I wait for the turn)
QQ(1 combo b/c 2/3 the time I wait for the turn)
JJ(1 combo b/c 2/3 the time I wait for the turn)
QsJs, QhJh(2)
KsQs, KhQh(2)
AhKh(1)
AhQh(1)
Asxs(10)
7s8s(1)
7h8h(1)
KsJs(1)

Made Hands
Drawing Hands

Notice how close the drawing hands are to the made hands(combo wise). For balance and deception purposes I tend to try to keep this number sort of close.

You might notice that I’m not capping some 78 and QJ hands. It’s because I wait for the turn to semibluff these 4 combinations.

I’m going off on a tangent here, but let me explain why I don’t cap the flop with these hands and why I wait for the turn with some other pair hands(noted above). First, notice I’ve done some combination discounting because there are a certain % of one pair hands I wait for the turn to raise. It’s a semi-common strategy I employ and I have a couple reasons for doing this.

Most commonly, it’s on very drawy boards(particularly in HU pots). I don’t do it solely in an effort to gain value, as usually the best way to build a pot is jam the flop(although charging the draws an extra sb certainly plays a bit of a factor).

I wait more often with some hands whose equity might change the when the turn comes good or bad(referring to primarily QQ and JJ in this instance). This is particularly the case when a draw or weakish top pair hand is a very significant portion of my opponent’s range. There is a reason for this and I’ll get back to it in a minute. Of course, if I only waited with fairly vulnerable hands it would be easy to counter strategically so I mix in AA and KK as well(to account for these I’ve taken the simplistic approach and discounted according to the frequency: wait for the turn with AA ½ the time so (.5*6combos)). The primary reason, however, for waiting for the turn is to increase the effectiveness/balance of my turn semibluff raises. If I only waited for the turn with made hands, this could be easily countered(exploited) by simply bet/folding the made hands that don’t fair well against my range of made holdings.

So there’s 16 combinations of made hands I raise on the turn, and to balance this I semibluff raise the turn a portion of the time. I often use the average pot size as the primary function in determining what combinations of drawing hands I will wait and raise on the turn(feel free to jump in if you don’t think this is correct). According to my OP there should be about 6sb in the pot on the flop. After 3 bets go in two ways on the flop that makes it 6bb+1bb(villain’s turn lead) for a total of 7bb in the pot. When I raise it makes the pot 9bb and it indicates to my opponent that he will need to put in 2 more bb to call me down. This gives him effectively 4.5-1. My goal is to semibluff about once in 5 times so he’s just short of the price he would need on a calldown. So this means about 20% of the range of hands I might wait for the turn will be semibluffs. This is effectively 4 combos added to the 16 combos of made hands raising the turn. This is where those omitted combinations(7d8d, 7c8c, QcJc, QdJd) come in to play. It’s 4 combos that should be about right for the range as I’ve tried to show above.

I apologize it’s taken me so long to respond to this post. I also apologize my response was so longwinded. I wanted to get as much conversation going as possible prior to giving my range. Now maybe elindauer can come in and blow it up showing me where I’m completely wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]