View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Robert Jordan died.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I dropped out around book 5, he started out well, and then it just dragged on and on. Have you ever tried George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series? I think you might enjoy it much more. Anyway, RIP Jordan, and thanks for some good novels.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a matter of fact, I am packing for a big move and, just today, I packed away A Game of Thrones. There is no doubt that the Martin books are good (I have not read the whole series, yet), but I still think Wheel of Time is the best, up until the eighth (or maybe seventh) book. When I said up until book nine, I meant book nine was the first one I considered to be "bad", or, at least, unworthy of the series.

George R. R. Martin, in my opinion, is one of the greatest underrated science fiction authors (he is good at fantasy, too, but I am most familiar with his science fiction work) in the world. I have been reading his work for decades, and the best of it is right up there with Heinlein, Asimov, Ellison and other greats.

If you like Martin, don't miss his Sand Kings collection, especially the title story (The Sand Kings), Fast Friend, and The Way of Cross and Dragon.

SpaceAce