View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Moral dilemma/car dealership help? (a little long)

I don't want to threadjack but your story reminds me of something that (almost) happened to me.

Years ago I gave my volvo to my sister when I got another car. She drove it a couple years then traded it in at a dealership.

About a year after THAT, I get a letter in the mail from some tow company saying they towed my volvo and I owe $80 + $5/day until I come get it. I disregard letter because hey, I haven't owned that car in years.

I get another letter and so this time I call them. "Hey uh I hate to tell you guys this but you got the wrong guy. I sold that car years ago.".

They say "tough [censored] man you are the last known owner, you owe us the money."

"But tow guys, I'm not the legal owner. The title is not in my name, the registration is not in my name, etc etc why the hell do you think I'm responsible?"

So we go back and forth back and forth finally I learn that it is because a seller's report was never filed (this little thing on the end of the title that you detach and send in after selling the car).

Finally I say "Ok even though we agree the title is NOT in my name and I'm NOT the legal owner and I'm NOT the registered owner, I still have to pay?"

"yes"

"ok then I will be down to pick up the car tomorrow" (Hey for like $100 I can get the car back and sell it right? It was probably only worth $500 or so).

"Sorry sir, but if you can't prove you own the car we can't let you take it".

"WTF????? You're gonna make me pay the bill but won't let me take the car? What will you do just leave it on the curb?"

Finally we call the dealership where my sister traded it in, they said "Hey this is our fault we will take care of it, sorry for this inconvenience". Case closed.

The moral of this story and OP is MAKE SURE YOU TAKE CARE OF THAT PAPERWORK