View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Re: San Francisco goes after trans fats too

[ QUOTE ]
also btw, you guys are the ones claiming a benefit of transfats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very false. I'm claiming nothing, and even said specifically that I don't know anything about the science of trans fats. If I had to offer a personal opinion, I'd agree that they're a bad choice. But *I* don't need to see a benefit to something in order to think other people have a right to use it.

You're the one claiming the position of forcing people not to sell or buy this type of fat. But I'm not even talking about that. I'm still talking very specifically about your claim that "there is no benefit." Again, how do you know what other people value?

You can argue all day long about why trans fat is a bad decision. But it's all moot. Personally, I can't fathom why anyone would conclude the mild effect of a cigarette is worth the substantial health risks associated with them. Just because I am in favor of their right to make this decision for themselves doesn't mean that I necessarily think there's a "benefit" to this decision.

[ QUOTE ]
how can I prove a neg? I mean showing trans and non trans chips cost the same is best I can do really.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really think BagA and BagB could possibly "cost the same" when the only difference in the bags is that one of the ingredients in one of the bags is more expensive to produce, then you really have a very shortsighted view of economic activity.

The reason why you can't prove your claim that there is no benefit is because your claim was patently bogus. There is no way to determine what other people value.