View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Beginning of Christianity

[ QUOTE ]
When I was in College I took a course called “Historical Jesus” (girlfriend at the time was taking the course). I seldom went, but did attend the last day of class when the professor gave his take on what history tells us about the ultimate question of Jesus status as supernatural figure. I will do my best to paraphrase.

He said that Jesus lived in a time where cooky crackpot alternative apocalyptic nuts roamed the streets—mostly without any significant followers. When Jesus, who wasn’t too far from this mold, actually started to develop a following and began to call into question the Jewish Clergy, he was discredited to the public, and put to Death as a threat to the order. Here is where things become interesting. After Jesus died, Jesus's followers (none of whom was previously impressive in the slightest) by all rights should have disbanded, lucky to have their skins intact, as Jesus at this point was not a popular guy. Instead, they claim he was resurrected, and at great cost to themselves and without any financial backing or incentive became absolutely devoted zealots with his ressurection as the foundation of their belief. His conclusion was that the only explanation was the disciples truly believed in the resurrection.

Assuming this is a reasonable accounting of the “history” involved, why did Jesus’ disciples insist he had resurrected and risk their necks for seemingly no gain and a lot of hardship when they would have been so much better off slinking away?

This isn’t meant as a “proof” or to convince anyone of anything, it is just something that seems interesting about the origins of Christianity.

Anyone else find this sufficiently puzzling to comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. lol @ that class in college

2. Christianity is astrology worship and has evolved from wayyyy older mythologies.