View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Useful frameworks or things to factor

Poor players are anything but random. A wide range is something we exploit with position and on later streets. At low levels there are tons of holes that should be easy to spot and quantify. I don't think a simple or even complex framework will be able to find the small edges, but we should be able to spot large ones.

I think this could be a brilliant project, and it is definately something I've considered a lot. My thought was to go street by street considering their range, past actions, and bet size. We are creatures of habit, and poor players are especially inept as recognizing how much information they give away.

Basics I'd consider Preflop:
Range on button, Range in bb, Difference in range sb bb, Calling range bb vs (limp, min, 2x, 3x, 4x+), 3bet range (bb) vs (l,min,2x,3x 4x), rrai freq and cards, limp rr freq and cards, exact hands bet/limped (1x,2x,3x 4x+), shove freq and cards (lots show), was bet higher than or lower than avg and cards what other hands were played like this.

On the flop:
We consider all the same betting raising patterns, but we have to add frequency based on hands and draws hit. In addition we need to consider pf action and related patterns. Things like bet size as it relates to semi-bluffs, in relation to made hand strength, betsize as it relates to board texture, cbet frequency and size trends in comparison to hand strength, etc... But there are still basic essentials that could easily be analyzed by a player in concert with common tools.

Obviously as we consider more detail and we must on later streets. It becomes more difficult for a human to keep up, but a HUD could show us a lot and break it out realtime easily. Next Gen tracking like Holdem Manager, PT3, capture and store much of this additional information. Even if we could only spot 10 major leaks or confirm a players subjective 'feel' and analysis of common HUD stats it would be a powerful tool.

A few programs attempt to show holes and fundamental errors in play (chasing bad odds, loose calls etc) but I haven't seen one tailored for HU. It's tough to build a framework to win HUNL autonomously but it isn't tough to give a decent player better information to increase thier edge. For beginners it provides fundamentals and a framework for what must be studied.

Mike