View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Business proposition from my uncle

First off let me say this this is completely serious and true.

I am a 17 year old high school senior, my uncle is in his upper 30's and owns a printing company. The man makes about $2m a year and is ready to stop working and turn his business over to someone else. Basically what he said is that he REALLY wants to give it to someone in his family, as opposed to some big business stranger who he doesn't really trust. He has a son who he offered the company to, but he pretty much hates his dad because he is obsessed with work and money.

He talked with me for a while and tried to explain what exactly he does. Basically its selling printing jobs to other individuals and businesses for a ridiculously high mark-up, but for whatever reason he is able to get away with it. He understands that I know NOTHING about the job and is willing to help me learn.

The big problem is, he wants to me to work as soon as I graduate high school, and says it will be very strenuous and frustrating work, and it will be 12-14 hours a day. On the other hand he promises I will be unbelievably wealthy by the age of 30.

I really don't want to miss out on the college experience though, I have already been accepted to PSU and Colorado University, and was really looking forward to the entire experience, and for that reason, I have been leaning against taking my uncle up on this offer. I figure that this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity though, and am just looking for the imput from some older, wiser people who have more experience in business and making these decisions.

So naturally, I come to OOT. What do you guys think??