View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Voice of the Beehive

Voice of the Beehive

Voice of the Beehive were California sisters Tracy Bryn and Melissa Brooke Belland, and over the course of their three albums in the late 80's to mid-90's, no one wrote better pure pop songs.

Pop is often a much-maligned genre, as it's usually the more commercial, and therefore "least important" music on the landscape. However, writing a perfect pop song is no easy task - and Voice of the Beehive were masters at it.

Their music is distinctly jangly guitars, glorious harmonies, and witty, sharp lyrics that almost get over-looked by their retro-60's, radio-friendly sound.

Their three albums are:

Let it Bee

Honey Lingers

and

Sex & Misery

Some samples:

Don't Call Me Baby

Monsters & Angels
(their only song that charted in the U.S.)

I Walk the Earth

Voice of the Beehive were quite popular in england and had many hits there. In the U.S., they were big on college radio and alternative stations but their brand of campy, ironic pop never really broke through.

The Beat of Love (live)

So Hard

I Say Nothing

Perfect Place

I think they often get over-looked because of their goofy videos, but putting on one of their CDs as you're tooling down the highway, getting high on great lyrics, soaring harmonies, and jingle-jangly guitars is a blast. Perfect Pop.