View Single Post
Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Killer Poker Shorthanded

I just finished.

1) It's the best book on short-handed NLHE cash games that I've read, mostly because it's the only book on short-handed NLHE cash games that I've read. HoH "Endgame" has some information about final table tournament play, but this book is the first that closely examines 6-max and shorter NLHE cash games. And it does a very good job.

2) The book does a great job of defining and explaining the fundamental concepts regarding short-handed hold 'em, namely that 2/3s of the time no one will hit a flop, and that the key to success is aggression based on analyzing the betting patterns and deception trends in others in light of how they might interpret yours.

3) The book could be a lot shorter if it didn't use a conversational style. Much of the book is humorous filler, and the foul language wasn't to my taste. But I suspect that the authors are funny guys with a colorful vocabulary, and the book reads as if they were giving a lecture and telling a story rather than a textbook.

4) I didn't care much for the section on short handed limit hold 'em, but it helped a little in understanding short-handed NLHE by understanding how short-handed LH is different. So, I guess it helped a little.

I would highly recommend the book for anybody who is pretty good at full ring, but feels a little out of place at a 6-max table.